Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Still having trouble with food - blood in stool

Michael is still having trouble. They have increased the amount of food per hour (I think they got up to 19ml per hour - that is less than 4 teaspons per hour) and he has become increasingly uncomfortable. All they were feeding him was breast milk for food (also some nutrition via IV). So because of the blood in stool, they have stopped that. He is getting Pediolyte instead. They are going back over all his scans and x-rays to be certain that he doesn't have a stricture (narrowing, partial blockage) which would be from damage from the NEC that he initially had. If they determine for sure that there is no stricture, then they will start him over again on a hypoallegenic amino acid formula and then go from there.

3 comments:

  1. We have a constant prayer for him and all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but Bruce was getting blood in his stool at around 6 weeks and the doctors I saw said that it was most-likely that Bruce was having some kind of an allergic reaction to something I was eating. I had already been restricting many things, but I omitted wheat from my diet and the blood in the stool went away. Bruce was so sensitive to so many things, like I've said before, until he was about two and a half months and I very slowly was able to add things back into my diet.

    Hope everyone gets a nice long break from hospitals, etc. very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie, that is good info. Julie had already cut out milk and chocolate. They have pretty much decided that it is an allergy issue and are changing to a hypoallergenic formula.

    ReplyDelete